People often ask “how do I become a B Corp consultant?” Over the past few years, Ryan Honeyman (Partner at LIFT Economy and author of The B Corp Handbook) and Matt Mayer (Sustainability Sherpa at Conscious Brands) have taught a series of courses for folks interested in becoming B Corp consultants. The goal of these courses is to provide a succinct, step-by-step overview of the tools, resources, and best practices we have learned about B Corp consulting. There are two course options that we offer:
The benefits of participating in the self-study course include, but are not limited to:
- World-Class Expertise: Learn from two of the world’s top experts on B Corporations
- Evergreen Content: Participants will retain access to the content in case you want to watch a session again
- Ongoing Access: After the course is finished, participants will have the option of joining a larger community of practice for B Corp consultants (i.e., folks who have completed earlier courses).
In addition to the benefits of the self-study course, participants in the live course will also benefit from:
- Shared Accountability: Learn as a live cohort, with shared accountability and goals
- Individual Assistance: In addition to four 90 minute live group sessions, each participant will receive a private 60 minute coaching call with Matt or Ryan.
- Exclusivity: A maximum of 8 participants will be allowed to attend this course in order to keep the group small, nimble, and targeted.
After participating in our courses, participants will be able to:
- Inspire prospects by communicating the value of joining a global movement to redefine success in business
- Confidently respond to both high-level and detailed questions about the B Impact Assessment
- Pitch, propose, and deliver a B Corp consulting contract
- Build their thought leadership by publishing and speaking about B Corps
- Network and engage with the existing B Corp community
- Use the B Impact Assessment as a lens to identify other client needs (e.g., helping motivate and engage employees, helping clients create their mission, vision, and core values)
Participants in the self-study course will be able to download and access the materials immediately. The course consists of a series of recorded webinars, an in-depth study manual, and various exercises that will help you build your B Corp consulting skills.
The live course consists of four 90 minute webinars plus a private 60 minute coaching call with either Matt or Ryan. The next live course is scheduled for the following dates:
- Week 1: Tuesday, November 1 at 12pm-1:30pm (Pacific)
- Week 2: One-on-one calls w/ Matt or Ryan
- Week 3: Tuesday, November 15 at 12pm-1:30pm (Pacific)
- Week 4: Tuesday, November 22 at 12pm-1:30pm (Pacific)
- Week 5: Tuesday, November 29 at 12pm-1:30pm (Pacific)
Julie Fahnestock, Founder at B Storytelling and graduate of our second cohort, wrote the following articles about her experiences as a participant in the live version of the Secrets of B Corp Consulting:
- JustMeans: “The Secret’s Out: B Corp Consulting is the Coolest Gig”
- TriplePundit: “5 Tips to Becoming a B Corp Consultant”
- JustMeans: “The Business Case for B Corps: The Secret’s Out, Part 2”
Ryan Honeyman is a Partner at LIFT Economy, 2014 B Corp MVP, and author of The B Corp Handbook: How to Use Business as a Force for Good(Berrett-Koehler Publishers). Ryan’s clients include B Corps like Ben & Jerry’s, King Arthur Flour, Method, Plum Organics, Klean Kanteen, and Nutiva. Ryan has written articles for the Stanford Social Innovation Review, Fast Company,Entrepreneur, Huffington Post, Utne Reader, andTriplePundit. He has also been a featured speaker at SOCAP, Bioneers, the B Corp Champions Retreat, CatalystCreativ, and the Sustainable Enterprise Conference. Ryan holds a B.A. from the University of California, Santa Cruz and a M.Sc. from the London School of Economics and Political Science.
Matt Mayer is Sustainability Sherpa at Conscious Brands. Matt is a strong believer that business can be a force for good only if success can be redefined to include measurable returns for all stakeholders, rather than simply enriching shareholders. Matt has helped many prominent B Corps in Canada both achieve certification and strategically use their certification to grow their business while becoming a better company. Matt has spoken on B Corp on many occasions including at conferences, MBA classrooms, facilitating B Corp bootcamps, leading B Corp networking groups and more. Matt has a Masters of Science degree in Strategic Leadership towards Sustainability and his Bachelor of Commerce degree in General Management.
“Ryan has been a valuable and effective consultant for Ben & Jerry’s in helping us to benchmark key aspects of our supply chain. Ryan is great to work with; he is personable, professional, and responsive. We look forward to continuing our work with Ryan in the future — not only because he provides value in the space of “measuring what matters,” but because Ryan’s work supports the growing movement of businesses that are aspiring to be better for the world.”
– Cheryl Pinto, Ben & Jerry’s
“Ryan’s guidance through B Corp certification was incredibly worthwhile and valuable. Going through the B Corp certification process helped us identify gaps in items like our employee handbook, our local community engagement efforts, and how we communicate our environmental programs to our stakeholders. We are now the first B Corp-certified olive oil company in the United States, and the first B Corp-certified wine business in California. I highly recommend using his services.”
– Samantha Dorsey, McEvoy Ranch
“Conscious Brands assisted with Genuine Health’s B Corp certification, making it a pleasurable and quick process. From their excellent kick-off meeting and planning tools to the weekly check-in calls, Conscious Brands was clear, helpful, supportive and great to work with. Their quick turnaround, willingness to go the extra mile, enthusiasm and expertise was very much appreciated and made the hard work a lot of fun. In fact Conscious Brands was so helpful that we were one of the fastest B Corp certifications! Thank you Conscious Brands for being truly conscious of what matters most, both in the universe and in business.”
– Tara Stubensey, Genuine Health
“In working with Conscious Brands on our B Corp certification we were not only provided with attentive and genuine service, but truly felt as if we had a partner through the entire process. They are outstanding communicators that worked diligently with us to ensure we understood every step of the process. Their energy, organization and sincere commitment to sustainable business practices helped motivate and guide us along as we worked together to achieve our goal. So impressed by that to this day we continue to work together on various initiatives — these guys really are the very best at what they do.”
– Shaun Daniels, Nature’s Fare Markets